Sunday, April 17, 2011

signs of Spring

All New Englanders know that Spring does its fair sharing of teasing us, yet somehow we always seem to fall for it (or spring for it I suppose).  What I am referring to are those (few and far between) days of warm, sunny 60+ degrees, when everyone dusts off their sandals and sundresses and trots about town as if it were the 4th of July.  Needless to say, we're jinxing it because typically the day after a "treat" like that, it's usually cold and windy, if not even snowing again.  Well, we've managed to pass the days of snow, (or so I hope) and we are well on our way to the little Spring we do have here in Boston.

I think that Spring has got to be Boston's best time of year.  You know it's really Spring when all the tulips burst open in the public garden, the cherry blossoms and magnolia buds are starting to bloom along beacon street and comm. ave and all the runners, seasoned marathoners and winter couch potatoes alike, flock from the woodwork to hit the paths of the esplanade.  There's something so refreshing about seeing people out and about, enjoying the beautiful weather and the company of others.

After a jog this morning, I decided that it was time to stop by my favorite local flower nursery in Union Square, Ricky's Flower Market to get pansies for my window box and pots.  I do this every year when I know it's finally Spring and they continue to flourish and bloom right through to Summer.  This year, I decided to put all varieties of purple pansies in my window box and then use single colors in the pots.  I can't wait for them to grow and fill in, until their pots are spilling with blooms.

BEFORE potting
BEFORE potting
AFTER potting...happy pansies, welcoming Spring! 




No comments:

Post a Comment