Thursday, June 9, 2011

visiting an old friend and shopping for exotic beads

I recently took a trip to New York to visit my best friend from childhood. We grew up two houses away from each other and practically did everything together as kids. Since neither of us had plans to go home for the holiday, we spent Easter weekend together and hung out just like old times (when I drafted this I had just returned).  Even though we didn't go to college in the same city and currently live 4 hours apart, when we get the chance to see each other, it's like nothing has changed and we're back home just like we were as kids.

We have always been "crafty", her more of a drawer/ sketcher while I was more of a crafter.  In fact, as kids she used to call me Martha, which I secretly didn't mind (although I'm not sure it was really a secret).  When she learned about by new bracelet making technique (after reading my blog), she asked if I would bring some supplies and teach her how to make the leather wrap bracelets and in return she would show me some bead shops around town.

On Saturday of my visit, we had planned to visit MOMA, since it was raining and seemed like the perfect place to visit on a rainy day in New York (also, neither of us had ever been).  We were not alone in our thinking, for when we arrived at West 53rd Street we were unpleasantly surprised to see a line down the street and around the block, of people and umbrellas waiting to enter the museum.  Later, after staring at the line in amusement and awe, I asked someone in line what all the co-motion was about.  I was thinking there was a famous artist visiting or an new exhibition opening, but turns out it was just general admission.  People had been waiting in line for over and hour and a half just to get in.  We decided to pass on the charade and roam the city instead.  She took me to some bead stores, which I believe were on 6th Avenue and we picked up some supplies to make bracelets.  


On Sunday, we unexpectedly ran into a farmers market and then a flea market.  We picked up some flowers at the market and then I bargained for some beautiful, one-of-a-kind hand painted African beads.  I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do with them, but I couldn't resist, and I had never seen anything like them in any of the bead stores around Boston so I just had to get them.


Hand painted clay beads from Africa

Garnet tube beads

Plum Czech glass beads

Labradorite rectangle beads

No comments:

Post a Comment