Wednesday, February 16, 2011

leather wrap bracelet...the man version

It's been a few days since I took the leather wrap bracelet class at Abeille in Brookline but I am still so very excited that I now know how to make them (and it's easy too).  The class was on Sunday from 12-2 and I took it with a girlfriend of mine and her roommate.  Since we were so close to Coolidge Corner we just had to have breakfast at one of my favorite spots, Zaftigs which is always delicious; however you must know if you go before noon they do not have their famous bagel chips with homemade cream cheese dip.  This simple, complementary starter may be the reason I make the trek from Somerville or maybe it's the homemade pickles, but either way, be prepared for no bagel chips if you go before noon (because I was unpleasantly surprised).  Just a little FYI.

It's so easy for me to get off track, especially when it comes to food, so let me get back to the bracelet. As I mentioned in my last post, I received a Chan Luu leather wrap bracelet made with brown leather and Hematite stones for Christmas last year and I wear it all the time, so I was excited when I saw I could take a class to learn how to make it. The process is simple.  I found it relaxing, however it is pretty time consuming if you're making a long bracelet. I decided to make a simple, single wrap bracelet as my first one because I knew I wanted to work on something in the class that I could finish quickly, but more importantly I wanted to make a manly version of the bracelet for my boyfriend for Valentine's Day (which happened to be the day after the class, so I didn't have a lot of time to finish).  I brought some beads with me I already had, antique silver tubes and some small round antique bronze nuggets which I combined with some new beads I bought during the class that are faceted brass.  I combined those with distressed brown leather and a metal button I had in my beading supplies for years that I finally found a use for.  I nearly finished the bracelet in the class and had only about an inch left to complete when I got home.  It made for a great gift! 



I also bought some teal/aqua blue glass beads to make a bracelet for myself as well as some tan, orange and rose colored glass beads for a third bracelet, both using distressed brown leather.  I plan on making the two other bracelets five-wraps which means they need to be approximately 36 inches long.  I think I might start working on one tonight and pick it up when I'm in the mood or while I'm watching TV and just complete it casually.   I'm thrilled I now know the process and can whip up beautiful, versatile and chic gifts my my family and friends.  I'll keep you posted on my progress with photos and updates.



No comments:

Post a Comment