Tuesday, February 8, 2011

mineral metallic pearl necklace

While working on my subway poster I was simultaneously working on a new piece of jewelry.  I bought two strands of very light olive/mint green fresh water pearls a while back and have had them stored with all of my beading supplies for quite some time, unsure of what I wanted to make.  A few weeks back I went bead shopping with a few of my crafty girlfriends to Abeille in Brookline Village and The Pear Tree in Coolidge Corner to look for some new beads, findings and inspiration. There is a bead store closer to my house, in Harvard Square, but they have a limited selection so I was excited to learn about some new shops to get supplies.  I was pleasantly surprised to find a wide variety of everything I was looking for and more.  The staff at Abeille was so friendly and helpful which is usually hard to come by at other bead supply stores.  I even signed up for a class that I'm taking this coming Sunday on how to make leather wrap bracelets.  Last Christmas I received a Chan Luu Leather Wrap Bracelet from my boyfriend and it is one of my favorite pieces of jewelry.  It's so versatile I can dress it up or down and it makes such a great gift.   I was thrilled to see that I could take a class to learn how to make it.

As far as the fresh water pearl necklace goes, I have made other pearl necklaces before, mostly traditional, simple simple strands of pearls.  For this necklace I wanted to combine the pearls with some other beads and materials to give it a more modern, casual look.  I think the natural color of the pearls also lend themselves to this more contemporary style.  I created two strands of pearls with a variety of other beads mixed into those strands consisting of clear glass round discs, frosted faceted green glass beads, antique bronze disc spacers and small antique bronze and silver tubes.  

In addition to the two strands of pearls, I also used two different sizes of antique bronze chain and one strand of a green metallic glass seed beads. I fastened them all together with a filigree bead cap and a loop hook clasp.



Then I twisted all of the strands together to make a larger, chunkier looking necklace.  I think the twisted strands give the necklace a versatile look that can dress up a T-shirt or dress down a little black dress.


I usually use sliver clasps and spacer beads but I'm starting to really love the antiqued look of the bronze, however it is much harder to find matching pieces.  I have some other beads in my supply kit that I am planning on using use soon, so I will try to incorporate the new antique bronze findings with those beads. 


Stay tuned for updates on new jewelry projects and my post about my leather wrap bracelet on Sunday.  I also have a photography project I can't wait to share with you.


1 comment:

  1. WOW!!!!! as usual!!!Keep us posted on your glass bead one too! xxoo Mrs. Deb

    ReplyDelete