Saturday, February 5, 2011

superbowl deliciousness

For those of you who are attending Superbowl parties tomorrow, I have a crowd pleaser for you.  When I entertain or bring a dish to a party, I usually like to share something that is "relatively" healthy (that excludes cheese of course... I always have to have cheese) or at least has some sort of sophistication.  However, completely forget both of these things if you want to bring the best appetizer to your Superbowl party, or any party for that matter.

I like to call this hot bubbly concoction Buffalo Chicken Wing Dip, and I know this is not a new concept (but neither is mac and cheese and people go nuts for it).  I have made this for almost every party I've had and have also brought it to past Superbowl parties as well.  The results are always the same...an empty dish with barely no trace of its one delicious contents.  The "recipe" is simple, and I tend to make it slightly different every time.

I will provide you with a list of ingredients, however, the quantities vary depending on how massive you make to make it.  I usually make a "double" and there's never a problem with it being finished.

The List
Skin-On, split chicken breasts, I usually buy a package of about 4
2 bottles of Buffalo chicken wing sauce, Texas Pete's and Frank's Buffalo are both good but I sometimes use a mixture of different brands, for more flavor variety
2 packages of cream cheese, I usually buy the reduced fat kind, because it doesn't really matter, and you might as well save some calories somewhere
1 package of shredded mozzarella and monterey jack/cheddar cheese (any mixture is good, but definitely get mozzarella)
1 bottle of blue cheese dressing

Tostitos scoops tortilla chips
Fritos scoops
Celery
Green onion

The Directions
Boil the chicken breasts until they are cooked all the way through.  Take them out of the water and let cool.  Once cool, remove the skin and bones, discard. Using a fork, break the chicken into small, shredded pieces.  Add the shredded chicken to a medium saucepan then add the buffalo wing sauce.  I like to let this mixture simmer for a little while, maybe 10 minutes just so the chicken absorbs all the buffalo flavor.  While that is cooking, spread the cream cheese (it's easier to spread if it's room temperature) into the bottom of a casserole dish into an even layer.  Once the chicken and sauce mixture has simmered for 10 minutes, remove from heat and add about half of the blue cheese dressing (this amount can vary depending on how creamy you want it).  Then add about a cup or so of shredded cheese.  Stir it all together so everything is well incorporated.  Pour the chicken mixture over the cream cheese in the casserole dish.  You can refrigerate this (covered with foil) until you are ready to serve it.  Before serving, sprinkle a little more shredded cheese on top, then heat in a 375 degree oven for about 15 minutes or until it is hot and bubbly.  Some people also like to top the dish with a drizzle of blue cheese, but since we added it into the mixture earlier, this step is not necessary.  Once removed from the oven, top with chopped green onion and serve with scoops chips and celery sticks.  Step back and watch your guests devour it.

As much as I hate football, I have to admit I love the Superbowl because it's a great excuse to get together with friends to drink beer and eat totally delicious junk food.  If you make this dish you're sure to be a crowd pleaser.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment